Thursday, June 3, 2010

That Was a Crazy Night

So I had a few friends over last night to watch the NBA Finals. The problem was: the Finals don't begin until tonight. Memorial Day completely screwed me up. And I'm an idiot. So, instead, we watched the Brewers handle the Marlins, 7-4. But we were absolutely flabbergasted by the discussion Brian Anderson was having in the top of the 7th. There isn't anything posted on youtube or mentioned in any of the articles I've read, so allow me to summarize what transpired in the booth when Gallardo came up to bat:
Anderson: "You know, they're bringing Yovani back to pitch in the bottom of the 7th. He's just the kind of pitcher who could knock one out of here and tie this game up. He's done everything else tonight." Pitch to Gallardo. "And there's a drive. Way back. Home run!" /Lots of laughter from Schroeder and Anderson.
He freakin' called a home run by a pitcher. I shouldn't have to note how awesome that is.

Later, the game ends (Brewers win!) and what do we see? Immediate highlights of a blown perfect game by umpire Jim Joyce. Armando Galarraga was throwing a perfect game, with two outs in the 9th, when Jason Donald hit a slow grounder to first. The ball was handled by Miguel Cabrera and tossed to Galarraga for a seemingly routine last out in the third MLB perfect game in 24 days (there had been 18 in the history of baseball prior to May of this season). Nope. Joyce called the runner safe. The runner was decidedly not safe. After the game, Joyce apologized:
"It was the biggest call of my career, and I kicked the shit out of it. I just cost that kid a perfect game."
Yes, yes you did.

So, this was my night: My first NBA Finals "party" without having the Finals actually on. One of the most delightfully random announcer calls I've ever heard firsthand. A "this is too perfect to not be scripted for a movie" ending to a (non) perfect game. I love sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment