Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Blacked out by MLB














I'm not talking about the kind caused by too much fun.

I live in Madison. I get Charter digi cable with ESPN. According to my digi guide, Monday's Cubs-Braves game is on ESPN at 3pm. I tune in, I'm blacked out. Instead of the game, I get ESPN News.

Why won't MLB let me watch their shit? This baffles me. Seriously, WTF. This game is in Atlanta. The Brewers, the closest team to Madison, are not even playing right now. They played at Miller Park earlier that day, but not now.

Why does MLB not want me to watch their product? Let's entertain some reasons. Feel free to add your own ideas in the comments.

MLB is afraid I will stay at home and watch the Cubs game instead of buying Brewers tickets.
I'm pretty sure the Brewer game was live on FSN earlier, though. If you're going to black out a game in Madison to try make people go buy tickets to watch it, you'd probably black out the one that is 80 miles away, not 800.

MLB wants me to buy tickets to the Cubs game in Atlanta instead of watching it at home. In Wisconsin.
I don't know if the Cubs game was blacked out on ESPN in Chicago. I doubt it. So why would it be blacked out in Madison? Can't say I know any Cubs fans in Madison that made the trip to Atlanta. If they're that hardcore, I doubt a black out would somehow change their behavior.

MLB wants Cubs fans in Madison to buy something more. Because they can.
Cubs fans are so rabidly enthusitic they'll do anything to see their Cubs. Money is not an issue for these trust-fund enabled youths. MLB.TV::Crack. Actually, I've heard MLB.TV has some nasty home market blackout restrictions. If you live in Iowa City, you can't watch the Twins, Cubs, White Sox, Brewers, Cards, or Royals. Nope. What you really need to do is open up your wallet and buy DirecTV and order the MLB Extra Innings package.

Who cares. If I'm going to take in a Cubs game, I'd rather listen to Ron and Pat on the radio. That's still free.

No comments:

Post a Comment