Thursday, April 29, 2010

Rick Reilly is Surprised That He Receives Mostly Negative Feedback


Reilly's "teaser" on ESPN's front page adjacent to the link to the *shudder* full text:

Good thing about sticks and stones, because these
e-mails are angry.

Emphasis his. The first line of the *shudder* full text column (which, admittedly, I only read after thinking "if I make fun of Rick's idiotic tagline (not only is it ordinary that feedback is negative, because negative people feed back, he must at some level be aware that he is an extraordinarily lucky beneficiary of an industry in which evaluating ability is subjective and imprecise) I should track the placenta of his journalistic abortion") sheepishly admits that people in fact like him:

OK, I take that back. Plenty of mail in the last month has been plenty insulting. But such is the mailbag, the place where it's my turn to be the piñata

He only made that analogy because his teenage child (hypothetically? I do not know if Reilly has spawned, and something inherent in this passage is telling me I'm not allowed to fucking google him, and instead I must author this diatribe) showed him how to make a tilde.

His "mailbag" is of course unremarkable. Several of the presumably-reader-induced vignettes (most notably the knuckle-dragger who said that Donovan McNabb is washed up and that's why the Eagles weren't afraid to trade him in-division) could not have been selected other than to make Rick look reasonable. The notable exception is his Tiger Woods rant, which he closes by inferring that the commenter (or someone?) should commence legal proceedings against him. Asinine soapboxing aside, stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment